Late getting these notes out so I’ll be brief! These notes cover 22–28 February 2021.
Things I shuffled along
Most of the week was spent in interviews with our partner services, continuing our discovery into payment options, which will help inform GOV.UK Pay’s strategy over the next couple of years. Currently the platform only offers one-off card payments and two channels, digital and telephone, but we know that services need more.
No conclusions yet but we’ve been deliberate about exploring the problem space and services’ motivations for particular options, trying to learn about the strategic objectives they need to meet as well as the operational objectives.
Personally, it’s helping me place GOV.UK Pay in the strategic landscape, to get an understanding of the market we serve.
Things I started
Two slide decks, one for our team show & tell and another for GDS’s open show & tell for Services Week 2021.
Though I really wanted to create an atmosphere of collaboration, togetherness and figuring stuff out together during this discovery, it’s hard when everything is happening through video calls – and the analysis, the working together, happens a little later.
Had a lovely catch-up with Rox, our director, last week, and Richard to chat about making product teams’ work more transparent.
Also lovely to catch up with my mentee, Seun, who is doing so well after getting through coronavirus!
Great to have a sunny weekend in North Wales too 🌞
- The most common misconception about organisational culture, 4 mins
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Poet Who Nurtured the Beats, Dies at 101, 9 mins
- Scientists Achieve Real-Time Communication With Lucid Dreamers in Breakthrough, 3 mins
- Goldeneye 007’s lost Xbox 360 remaster has leaked—as a full-game speedrun, 10 mins
- How to Plan Your Life When the Future Is Foggy at Best, 8 mins
- Make Time for Small Talk in Your Virtual Meetings, 6 mins
- Sunak warns of bill to be paid to tackle UK’s ‘exposed’ finances, 4 mins
- UK seeks fintech ‘big bang’, 4 mins
- UK government to take stakes in tech start-ups, 4 mins
- Anarchism is normal. It is hierarchy and the exploitation of nature that is odd., 6 mins
- New approach to data is a great opportunity for the UK post-Brexit, 4 mins
- Sunak to give £5bn boost to Covid-hit companies in Budget, 4 mins
- When Contributing Gets in the Way of Collaborating, 5 mins