David, our lead developer, gave me an overview of the technical architecture for GOV.UK Pay, which is really handy. It’s such an interesting platform, really makes it easy for teams and organisations to start taking payments (in 60 seconds flat!).
Tuesday was spent preparing a session to work out some strategic problems and plot some possibilities for overcoming those barriers, using techniques I learned in the IDEO course. And, you know what, I even started to enjoy my job again.
Yeah, it’s sad to admit it, but I really lost the spark and enthusiasm for my job in September last year. I used to jump out of bed in the morning, ready for the day, as dorky as that sounds. So I’m glad that feeling is starting to come back!
We’re using the North Star framework put together by John Cutler at Amplitude. Our North Star is ‘Number of healthy integrations’ which is a clear measure and aims for sustainable growth. The KPIs that make up the North Star are good too, decent key results for the teams for focus on.
Finished reading Ghost Hardware, though it is quite short. Three chapters, distinctly 2011 in feeling: a raid on a sports shop organised over social media, digital art, and toxic wastelands. Heading back to start Count Zero now.
Played our first game of Fate, the first tabletop RPG I’ve ever played, and it was great! Took a few turns to get into the swing of things, to realise that we could lead the story as much as the gamemaster, but it’s super fun. Can’t believe we didn’t play this at uni when we were studying creative writing!
- Monthnotes - 20th Jan to 6th March 2020, 3 mins
- Sure, the Velociraptors Are Still On the Loose, But That’s No Reason Not to Reopen Jurassic Park, 4 mins
- How Pandemics End, 8 mins
- Philip K Dick’s funny and peculiar near-futurology, 5 mins
- Met Police drop investigation into Vote Leave over EU referendum spend, 4 mins
- Find Work-Life Focus: A Trello Insider’s Guide To Personal Productivity, 8 mins
- Bafflement Greets Boris Johnson’s Plan for Reopening Britain, 5 mins
- Book of the Week: Government of No One, 4 mins
- What’s GDS ever done for us? Many, many good things., 4 mins
- Narrative Strategy, 8 mins
- Boris Johnson looks increasingly like the prime minister of England alone, 5 mins
- Epicurean sympathies, 3 mins
- Why does writing matter in remote work?, 2 mins
- Coronavirus: The UK’s top civil servant had COVID-19 at the same time as the PM. The public weren’t told, 4 mins
- Premonition, 9 mins
Public servants are doing great things, and I'm really lucky to work with them.
Brief notes on our strategy work, meeting accessibility regulations, and shifting the organisational Duplo blocks.
These notes cover a few weeks, rather than one week like usual. Writing weeknotes in the pandemic just didn’t feel necessary, but there’s a few things worth noting from the last five weeks of lockdown.