These are brief notes, only the things of note, because I’ve not written anything in the last two weeks, but it’s useful to have stuff written down that I can refer back to. Grateful to buy back some brain space.
Working on strategy stuff has been great, and we made a decision on whether to partner with a service team on delivering a new payment type. In short: yes, but not now.
We mobbed on getting the accessibility work over the line ready for today. It went well but maybe we could organise things better in future.
There’s big changes at work and the shape of the organisation is shifting. They’re moving around the Duplo blocks. Meh. But an all-staff conference had some excellent, exciting stories put forward. Good product stuff, and considerations of what makes product work.
It feels like our team has a better flow now than we did a few months ago, which is ideal. I’m looking forward to exploring new value-generating opportunities for Pay next quarter.
I finished Couch to 5K! It’s bloody awesome, you should do it too.
And we’ve done 10 out of 24 sections of the London Loop, which I’m also proselytising about.
Last episode I asked ‘Is the second wave here?’ and I think we can safely say it is.
Anyway, we’ve been enjoying our final weeks in London, it has been quite indulgent.
- Warnings from a whitewashed room as Dominic Cummings launches new mission, 5 mins
- Boris Johnson’s troubleshooting trio plot to transform Whitehall with a big bang, 5 mins
- S06E19: Pens, 6 mins
- Civil servants’ union will consider strike action over back-to-office plans, 3 mins
- What about a squiggly product career?, 5 mins
- An agile UK civil service needs more than ‘Star Trek’ screens, 6 mins
- The Product Scorecard, 5 mins
- This is our big chance to create better workplaces, 5 mins
- The long, complicated history of “people analytics”, 9 mins
- Inside China’s unexpected quest to protect data privacy, 14 mins
- Brazil is sliding into techno-authoritarianism, 9 mins
- The Mentor Manifesto, 2 mins
- Relationship between a Product Manager and a Delivery Manager, 6 mins
- UK sets out controversial plans for internal market after Brexit, 5 mins
- Inside Dominic Cummings’ wild scheme to build a British Google via a no-deal Brexit: ‘It’s a bit of a simplistic way of thinking about technology’, 4 mins
- Picking Winners – and State Aids, 4 mins
- Civic-Indigenous 7.0, 21 mins
- How the TikTok Aesthetic Is Changing the Face (And Body) of Porn, 6 mins
- Tips for writing good weeknotes – gilest.org, 3 mins
- TBM 37/53: Talk to Your Manager, Take the Survey, 2 mins
- Cornwall’s Drug Dealers Are Teaming Up to Combat Big City Drug Gangs, 10 mins
- How to thrive in the next normal of distributed work, 6 mins
- Buying Myself Back, 32 mins
- Free-Range Working: An Introduction, 5 mins
- The toxic production line, 4 mins
Much more work on Direct Debit this week, breaking a big strategic decision down into chunks.
Took a week off work, so here’s some notes of joy from my week off. Mostly about food, to be honest.
Professional development objectives (yawn), outline business cases (double yawn) and the story of a successful alert.